Friday, June 10, 2011

What a Rough 2 Weeks!!

It has really been a tough 2 weeks here at the little farm. Week 1, I was getting some things ready for a yard sale at the Moose Lodge. On Friday, I lost my voice so had to go to the sale on Saturday with hardly any way to speak. I could not have done any of it without my grandson, Russ. He sold a lot of stuff while I didn't even make enough to cover the rent.

After the yard sale, I came home and declared myself officially sick. Monday brought a trip to the doctor - diagnosis was bronchitis. So here we are an unproductive week later and I still sound like a frog. I do feel a bit better, but the heat here in South Carolina is oppressive and makes it hard to breathe.

I decided that these vintage nesting tables needed a facelift. I used Behr Teal Zeal and Minwax Dark Walnut. I have notice many pieces of teal or aqua furniture in blogland lately. It's funny how you begin to notice pieces in colors you are using.

I began on the smallest table using my sander on the top. That was a major job. Then I got smart and got some finish remover for the other two tables.


See my old windows in the background? They are still in the same spot waiting for my next project.



After I had started the nesting table project, I decided to order some chalk paint to use on this telephone table. The painting was so much easier and faster. Being a chalk paint newbie, I goofed up and used the dark wax first. Reading directions is not my strong suit. 

This is the table after the Old White chalk paint, dark wax and with the original fabric. The fabric was in good shape but I couldn't get it as clean as I wanted. (Incidentally,  when I was moving it to take the photo, I dropped one leg on my foot and fractured a small bone in the top of the foot.)


Here is the table after another coat of chalk paint, clear wax and an updated seat cover. I think it looks so much better. Notice that I did not move it to the yard for the photo.


I also got in my stash and made some altered journals and Scrabble tile necklaces that I saw here on Junky Vagabonds blog and pinned. (Don't you just love Pinterest?)



I am joining
Furniture Feature Fridays

9 comments:

Scribbler said...

Very cute, those little tables. Hope your voice is back soon. I am working on my slipcover for the 1950's sofa. I have been instructed to stay off the ladder unless Ray is home, so wallpapering begins again this weekend. I am dying to try my chalk paint - I got a book on how to use it, so maybe it will not be too hard.

kelli@restoreinteriors said...

CUTE! I love your nesting tables. What a great idea to paint the bottom. Very cute.

Tora´s Vintage Dream said...

Rosie I really hope you will get better soon, and that you´ll get your voice back :) these tables and the telephone table is so awesome. I wish we had this Chalk paint here but I can not find it anywhere :( Please take good care of yourself my dear friend. Hugs Tora

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

The nesting tables are fantastic. Love the color and finish.

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

WELL you are certainly making up for lost time!! Hope you're feeling better! I LOVE the tables and the color (one of my new faves as well!) and the telephone table (I STILL have one under my basement steps waiting for an update!) . . . thanks for sharing all of your lovely projects!!

Daniella said...

I love them all!! For someone who is still recovering from bronchitis, you sure have done a lot!! The tables are awesome!! the phone table and seat, fabulous! And the journals and necklaces amazing!!!
I'm here from Debbie's party, and I'm also your newest follower!!
xxDaniella

Linda said...

I love the phone table and the zebra seat. So cute!

Debbiedoos said...

Where to begin?? Love everything..the necklace is adorable. Thanks for sharing. Hope you feel better.

sandy said...

that color turquoise is just gorgeous! Love it!

I also love the little telephone table. I have one too that's just waiting for me to paint it!

I'm from the newbie party and I am your newest follower. Your doggies are adorable! Kids too!