Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Chalkboard paint project: Oatmeal Bar

We eat oatmeal often, year round. I fixed up a little "oatmeal bar" for the fixin's. I am in direct competition with McDonald's.

I painted a spot on the little Ikea jars with chalkboard paint and wrote the jar contents in white paint pen. These won't be used for anything else, so I decided not to use chalk. The wire basket is a drawer organizer from Target that the jars fit perfectly.



My recipe per serving:

½ cup of old fashioned oats
1 cup of water
Pinch of salt
Microware for 3 minutes. Use a large bowl as this tends to boil over.

Add to cooked oatmeal:
1 tbsp Brummel & Brown margarine
1 tsp brown sugar (I use ½ brown sugar and ½ Splenda®)
1 tbsp Craisins®
1 tbsp Golden Raisins

Sprinkle with cinnamon; add a few drops of maple flavoring.

This is so easy and much cheaper than the instant packets. Eat your heart out, McDonald's.

No comments: