Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Dining Table and Chairs Make-over

I have been working on my dining furniture for several weeks. I am still not finished, but it is too windy and damp to paint under the carport today. I have finished 3 of the chairs and the table.

It is a reproduction set we bought over 20 years ago and was nicked up. The top had raised  places where liquid had gotten into the grain of the wood. I don't have a before of the top but you can get the idea from this photo of the base of the table.



I had Home Depot color match my pineapple color craft paint. I distressed it and glazed it with Valspar mocha.


I painted the apron of the table with Chalk Paint in Old White. The top was sanded to get rid of the raised spots, stained with walnut and finished with the hand rubbed poly. I am loving the dark wood with the white on the table and chairs.

I used Behr satin color matched to Heirloom White on the chairs. After the paint on the chairs ages, I will distress them and seal them with hand rubbed poly.


I am second-guessing my choice on the table base. It may get a coat of Old White yet. This little Cheerios pitcher has been moved to my counter and holds my spatulas now and was my inspiration for the yellow color. I also have several coffee mugs in the same color that friends have given me over the years.


 The arm chair is another project and is not staying in the dining area.


I think the patten in the chair backs will show up nicely when I finish with the distressing.


I will be joining several blog par-tays this week.

Furniture Feature Fridays
Boogieboard CottageFunky Junk's Sat Nite Special

8 comments:

Kristal said...

It is turning out real cute! I think I like the base being yellow, I saw some yellow china in your kitchen and think it helps pull it all together. Actually, what if you painted the armchair the same yellow and left it? That would be super cute!!!

XoXo,
Kristal

Dawn said...

The table turned out just perfect. I am in to yellow right now also. I also love your blog header, so cute:) I'm also your newest follower.
Have a great weekend

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

It's great that you're breathing new life into your dining set. I like the cheery colors you've used on your furniture and in your décor! They make me smile. ;)

I would love to have you join my linky party, as well. Just click the button in my sidebar for Time Travel Thursday to join.

By the way, I just became a new follower, too!

Have a great holiday weekend!

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

A Jax said...

Love the yellow! But I understand wanting white:-) Great table!

Amy Jackson
www.houseofjacksons.blogspot.com

Pam Kessler said...

I think it's cute with the base yellow. I like the distressing on the top's skirt (I think that's what you call it).

Debbiedoos said...

That is so cute. I love how you tied in the yellow with the pitcher. Thanks for sharing with the newbie party.

Ela said...

It's very nice. Love the dark color on top and yellow on the stand. I am planning to paint my dining table too. This is a nice idea.

Hope you can visit me at http://scrapidoodlelicious.blogspot.com/

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

I can't tell you how much I love this!! What a great idea to paint the base with a pop of color! The apron on this table is stunning -- you really figured out the best possible way to emphasize all of it's charm! I'm pinning this!