Monday, December 05, 2011

Christmas Decorations 2011

I had been admiring MMSs ruffled tree skirt for months so I dove in and got the materials and made my version. I used a painter's drop cloth and muslin rather than linen. After I cut the circle, I put it under my tree and ended up cutting 5" off of it since my tree is a compact one. Also I used fabric glue because I was not sure how the glue in the glue gun would hold up in our hot weather when the skirt was in our storage building. I have been having back spasms, so I quit after putting 4 rows of ruffles on the skirt. I think I will let it go at that because of Buddy. His bed is usually where we put the tree, so he has made the skirt his day-time bed.



Do you think he looks contrite? I think not. There are dachshund rules that are very specific: "if I want it, it's mine" among others.


I finally got my burlap and finished a few projects for Christmas. I am using mercury glass, mirror ball and silver ornaments on the tree along with a burlap topper. Some of the ornaments are tied on with jute in keeping with the burlap, silver and poinsettia theme.

I made a faux chandelier using clear ornaments tied to the light fixture over my table with fishing line.



I am using the paper covered styrofoam balls I made earlier this year. I am being ambitious and plan to make 12 more of them.


My table is set with a set of Fitz and Floyd plates I found at a yard sale. I have 4 plates, but only 3 patterns. The napkin rings are some that I made about 30 years ago.




The center piece is a rusty basket I found at another yard sale. I filled it with poinsettias with the pots covered in burlap.



I added some burlap to my candles on the mercury glass holders.



My wreath is one I bought at Pier 1 about 6 years ago AT FULL PRICE. I can't believe it either, but I loved it and have not regretted the purchase. I attached it over my twig wreath to give it more fullness.


I put some picks in this coffee filter wreath. I plan to put it on my mother's door at the nursing home. I can already tell you that she won't like it.


I think that will be it for me this season. Maybe a few twigs here and there, but mostly I can say that I am finished.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas.

  Boogieboard Cottage
Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love all of the treasures and finds you pulled together. Adding the wreath on top of your twig wreath was a really good idea. The burlap on the candles looks great and I love your plates.

Sharon @ mrshinesclass

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

Thank you for linking up your sweet Buddy to the pet party. What will he do when you put presents under the tree? I guess you better leave him a clear spot! He is a cutie. All of your Christmas decor looks sooo good.

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

Your ruffled skirt is really pretty and Buddy looks quite comfy on it! Love the clear balls hanging from the light as well.