My friend, Ellen Thompson, has written the most delightful book about her mother, Geneva. I spent most of yesterday afternoon reading it after it was delivered.
Of course, the first thing I had to check out was the book jacket which she asked me to design. I am so happy with the way it turned out. And of course, I loved the credit for the design that she included on the back of the jacket.
I was transported back to my childhood home of Anniston, Alabama. It was a treat to recognize some of the names and read the stories about them. But Geneva; now there was a contradiction. She was your average stay-at-home Mom of the 1950s, but underneath there was a woman of steel. She endured the loss of her first child which dictated the way in which she raised Ellen and her brother. Geneva was the submissive wife, but mostly got her way even though it was difficult at times. This is thoroughly good read.
Ellen and I did not meet until we were in junior high school where we both played flute in the band until we were through high school. After graduation we lost touch when I moved away from Anniston. We were reunited briefly when we both ended up in North Carolina, me in Charlotte and she lived in Salisbury. We both had young sons at the time and got together from time to time.
I am sad to say that we lost touch again for over 30 years. Last summer we connected again through Facebook and I was fortunate to be a guest in her home when I returned to Alabama for a family reunion. I hope it is not another 30 years before we have another visit.

2 comments:
Thank you Rosie -- this is so sweet! I am glad you liked the book. I will repost this on my FB page! And thanks again for the stellar job on the cover. Who knows -- maybe this will be only the first collaboration.
Ellen
Hello Rosie,
Thanks so much for dropping by the Back Porch.
Your cover design for Ellen's book is wonderful.
As I read the book I find we have so much in common. Even though I grew up in Missouri, during the same era, many of the cultural events are the same. Reading Geneva is definitely a step back in time for me.
Pat@BPM
Post a Comment