Thursday, June 28, 2012

Estate Sale Goodness

Earlier this month, we went to an estate sale at a retirement community near us. We found some really great things.
One of my favorites is this beautiful handmade quilt.


I am really happy with the soft colors it added to the bedroom. I moved my mother's quilt to the chair and put the new quilt on the end of the bed. An antique lace tablecloth is draped on the chair.

 
 This fringed blanket was in the bag with the quilt. I added it to my basket of blank-blanks beside the couch.

  
Some antique kitchen utensils; the perforated one is a butter skimmer, a butter paddle, donut cutter, measuring cup and a teaspoon. I scoop up any old measuring utensils I come across.


We also found this Homan Silverplate pitcher. I just love the patina on this one.


As we were leaving, the lady at the sale gave me these two pottery bowls. Both of them are signed and hallmarked. I need to do some research on them.


We (the husband) also bought a collection of Tom Clark gnomes. The pieces range from the very small gnomes to large sculptures. We were told that there were 140 pieces in the collection, but when we got them inventoried, we found that we had 183 pieces. They had all been in storage for 15+ years and we had to go through all the boxes.


Nativity Set
Betsy Ross

I love this piece: Chief Hollow Horn Bear. I am going to keep this one and display him with this Lowell Ellsworth Smith print depicting an Indian Chief.


Doing all this research on the gnomes has proved addicting. I keep putting more and more pieces in my cabinet. I think I am getting into some Americana around here.


I will leave you with one final photo. I think this is my favorite piece of the entire collection. This is Lawrence. I love his face; he is so expressive. Lawrence sat with me as I was going through the boxes of gnomes. I think he felt sorry for me.


Psst, wanna buy a gnome?

3 comments:

Tora´s Vintage Dream said...

you got a lot of beautiful things Rosie, but I LOVE the handmade quilt - it´s so soft and beautiful.

Sabina Pamphili said...

OMG, I just adore your ideas and your white bedroom with the antique quilt and all those goodies and treasures you picked up. Wow, wow, you are amazing and I am so inspired that I am going to finish the entry for the shipyard on my blog and then start thinking about taking some more shots......what a joy to see your blog.

Sabina Pamphili said...

I love your blog so much, dear Rosie, that I just gave the link to a dear sweet friend of mine, Carol Weiser. She will love it too, just like I do. I love your header too, it's like taking a look at your family in the livingroom. Very lovely and beautifully designed. I am so glad I found this. Hugs and Bless You.